Saturday, March 24, 2007

Its time to move on

What should the Indian team for the future read? I think it should have Sehwag, Uthappa, Kaif, Yuvraj, Raina, Dhoni, Pathan, Sreesanth, Zaheer, Munaf, Karthik, Romesh Pawar and a couple of other youngsters identified from the under 19 teams. I have purposefully left the big three out of this team but that does not necessarily mean they should call it quits from international cricket. Rather, I think they have a big role to play in building this team and for this reason, I recommend that they be in the squad for the next few tournaments but take turns in actually playing in the XI.

I honestly don't see Dravid, Ganguly and Sachin playing the next world cup. Even if they retain fitness and batting form, there is no way they are going to be a world class fielders and I hope Indians have realized from this campaign that fielding is a big part of today's modern day cricket. But, Indian cricket has a lot to benefit from the experience of these three cricketers and I am sure they are more than willing to help in the process too after the humiliating defeat in this World cup.

I think our other problem is that we cant see a new captain yet. Viru has struggled and Yuvraj seems to be the next option based on position in the team but I just cant seem him as a captain. My choice would have been Kaif but he is struggling to find a place in the team too. So all things considered, I think Dravid needs to continue in that role for a while longer till someone puts his hand up and stakes a claim.

I think all of us have been privileged to watch these three great crickets (and Anil Kumble) and it was sad to see them bow out the way they did. The perfect defensive pose of Sachin with the stump pegged back will be something that I will to forget for days to come. Its time for them to help rebuild the team over the next two years and then move out of the way in a dignified manner and cheer the team of youngsters in the next world cup.

No comments: